You could make a kid sized alice pack frame using Copper used for plumbing, and the tool you use to bend it.

If you have ever done any plumbing, it should be quite easy, at least to do the tubular parts, the flat pieces you'd still have to weld, or make from wood or possibly thick styrene?

Luke
you could use PVC pipe, if you could get it thin enough. There are plastics places that make fittings. MAybe get a nylon rod, attach it to a 90 deg elbow, and make your frame with 1/4 inch styrene plates? Weight is an important factor for kids. I made a 7lb pack for my son when he was 4, and it was too heavy! The new one I made of styrofoam and a few bits of junk weighed in at 2 lbs.
I was just investigating this possibility today. I was at Home Depot looking at pipe benders. Coppers ok price wise but the plastic pipes are much cheaper and I think if I heat it with a torch I can bend it with a pipe bender. But then I would probably have to make the whole thing out of plastic so I could glue it to together or something. I also thought about taking an alice frame and just cutting out some of the sections making it smaller and re welding it.
Keaton Kohl wrote:I also thought about taking an alice frame and just cutting out some of the sections making it smaller and re welding it.
Wouldn't that be costly? Because buying the alice frames and welding them down in size kind of sounds like a waste, unless you can reuse parts. Than again, what do I know? I make my things out of paper lol
I just talked to some guys in the sculpture department of my school and they told me I can't bend PVC it will burn or break but not bend. So I can either use elbows (which I don't like the look of) or I have to do it in metal. They suggested I cut the existing alice frame down too, so I'll give it a shot they said I could weld it over there so we'll see what happens...
Keaton Kohl wrote:It's all aluminum so it's pretty light. I also got a kid size flightsuit today at an army surplus but no tan. Has anyone died a green suit tan before, also wanna know for myself cause I could find any tan that fit me right just olive.
KK, there's a tutorial under Uniforms on dying Nomex. I'd do black if I were you. Don't think you can make olive drab into a light khaki or gray. I just used house paint and slush latex on mine-darkened it to a kelly green so it doesn't look so "Army!" : )
Still working on the frame but here is what it looks like on my 6 year old son Cohen. His fight suit is still very green after two treatments of ritz color remover and one treatment of bleach so it looks like I will have to make his a Charcoal or Black suit. The strange ling is I got a suit for my daughter one size larger, same type same material, same color and it has lightened considerably already??????
Well done man. Although costly since your kid is probably going to grow out of it pretty fast lol.
Donkey8012 wrote:Makes my childhood feel somewhat deprived. :cry:
Well you gotta remember, when they made the old toys, technology was limted so it was made differently. Also given the fact that these were made for kids, not collectors, and if they made 'em that accurate it would be at a price so expensive that parents wouldn't be willing to buy them.

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]