I recently purchased an AW studios proton pack kit through Strangestuffstudios.com. I paid 600 dollars for it. The kit was extremely substandard. Ive emailed the company with my complaint and pictures , and they have not responded. If anyone wants to see some pictures of the parts they sent me go to this. http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-YutPuwoi ... VQD6DstR9h

I would really like to hear if anyone else got taken. Strangestuffstudios said i need to take it up with AW studios and that he assumes no liability. (although, he cashed the money order). All i want is recasts of the bad parts. I would have liked to have been able to have made the pack before halloween, but thats not going to happen.
By GBFreek83
I'm glad you mentioned something as I was suspect of the pack kit as well.

I hate to say this but I believe everything you've received everyone else has received as well. I got AW Studios complete wand kit and from what I see of the pictures you have the grips are exactly the same.

If anybody else shares this opinion please speak up.

-Thiago
By hawaiiangb
What really got me upset was the awesome parts that were shown in the pictures of Strangestuffstudios.com website. I thought that the price was kinda high, but if the parts looked like this, then it would be worth it. If they had put up pictures of the parts they were actually going to send, I would not have ordered the kit. If i send the pack back; I'll be spending about 40 dollars which i will never recoupe. It took them over a month after i ordered the kit to send it out to me. I think i would probably have to wait even longer to get a refund. Im just going to bite the bullet and try to scratch build the extremely bad parts. I would love to have everyone that got this bad experience to reply to this. That way we can protect our fellow "BUSTERS".
By GBFreek83
It's funny, that's the exact same story as mine!

Took over a month to ship, and when it did, it was delayed for "some reason."

I messaged "AW Studios" with the same complaint about the pictures advertising the parts being very WRONG in it's portrayol of what they were actually going to send. It's like, "look at what COULD be done with the stuff we send you" instead of "look at what we're sending you." A bit disapointing in my opinion, and from what I know alot of people paid alot of money to recieve "good" kits.

...oh well...
By keoni
you're not alone. all i have to say is that im glad i bought resin wand parts off of some one a long time ago becuase the stuff i got was... well pretty crappy.... and small, not to scale at all in my opinion.
By GBFreek83
...do you have any pictures Keoni?
By secrecyguy
When I saw this, I thought you might be mad that it is not 100% perfect. It just needs some work.

After looking at the pictures, I change my mind. That's really really bad work he did and he try to make himself look good.

I will post this link up at the other website where he is promoting his stuff unless someone already did it.
By secrecyguy
I just went to the web site and it was made by Hotshot. I know he have pretty good record of making good stuff. Maybe what you got is fake? And they use someone else's name on it?
hawaiiangb wrote: would have liked to have been able to have made the pack before halloween, but thats not going to happen.

Not that I'm sticking up for shoddy work but, don't lose hope man!!! If those were the only bad parts you got... I think they can be saved with some bondo and sanding before halloween. Just give it a shot... what have you got to lose man?!
It's not that tricky either... I was a first time bondo user this week and it's pretty easy! Just don't add too much hardener or it will solidify before you even get it mixed... and use small layers... otherwise you get air bubbles... and DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!
It's halloween man... it was MEANT for ghostbusting!!! Now finish that pack off and get out there!
OH, also, bondo heats up as it hardens so leave your excess out in the open until it cools! :D
By Kingpin
The one picture I've found is not representative of the quality of the parts I've seen thus far... but I'd encourage people to post pictures of the parts to build a case.

Seems that Strange Stuff Studios no longer links to the Pack kit... either someone is cutting and running by removing the link, or SSS doesn't want to be associated with AW Studios anymore.
By ecto_skywalker
Ya, I should have spoke up sooner. I ordered some parts from AW and can't say I'm pleased, in fact I can't say I'll even use the parts. The surfaces of the tracks are warped, the discs have little or no detail and look more like round blobs of resin. And the slo-blo bar, is bar far too small.

I suppose this is partly my fault, I tried to cut corners and save time on building by buying parts. But like Bobby Brown's song says, "If you want something done, you gotta do it yourself."
By GBFreek83
It's true, it's the same story here...i'll take pictures after this post and, well, post them soon. So much of the kit is warped there's just no point to fixing it. The gun track as you mentioned, the bottom, whatever it is for the gun is completely warped, won't really even fit inside the vac-formed gunbox, which is still attached to alot of the plastic vaced over it.

I'll post pictures so the words can rest.
By namebrand
Ok, I have to say something here. I have not purchased anything from hotshot so I can't comment first hand, and all my info is based on what I have heard from those that have purchased and the photos I have seen...

First off, ecto_skywalker, it is BY FAR not your fault at all for getting crappy parts or unusable parts. So what you wanted to save some time and buy parts? He has made himself out to be a big pro as far as prop building is concerned, he's stated that he's making this his bread and butter...would you feel that it was your fault if you wanted to save time in building a car from scratch if you bought one and it turned out to not be what it was made out to be?

Secondly, I have heard nothing good about his parts or props from anyone who I talk to, I have seen posts of people loving his stuff, but the people I talk to personally have said his work is half assed and inaccurate (despite his claims of things being "exact" and "accurate"). He makes himself out to be a pro to sell the stuff but if anyone complains he either treats them like crap, or plays the "I'm not a pro like MR" card. Of course I say this all without any first hand experience with either his parts or his customer service other than what I have heard from others or seen publicly posted. I will say that on PT he basically said that anyone that liked his stuff were great customers and anyone that didn't could screw themselves...not exactly a good show of customer service.

There are a lot more dissatisfied customers than have not spoken up. For some reason they are keeping quiet. I myself have kept quiet about commenting because I like to not get on anyone's bad side or cause drama, but I couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer.
By njukgb
Is it just me or can someone show me the page on Strange stuff studios website where the GB kits are? Because I don't seem to be able to find them!
By hawaiiangb
strange stuff studios is no longer carrying AW studio products. The owner emailed me that he has had too many complaints and will no longer be carrying their products. The sad thing is that he does not stand by what he sells. When i confronted him of the problem, he said that i am on my own and will have to try and get my money back from AW studios. That's like buying a spoiled milk at the grocery store, and the grocery store telling me to get a refund from the milk company. As we say in Hawaii.... das messed up!
By hawaiiangb
I just got an email from Jack, the owner of Strange stuff studios. He is mailing me a refund of 90 dollars (the commission he made on the kit). He feels that i should not have gotten shoddy work, and apologizes. I accept his apology and place him back on the list of reputable business persons. He has been quick with the email replies. I hope my experience will make more people wary of who churns out ghostbusters products. Again, strange stuff studios is a reputable operation.
By BusterMikeMD
Welcome to the wagon jumper thread!

Firstly, to get to the point of the pics in the examples, you need to do SOME WORK! This is not a model you pick up at a hobby shop. It is a kit, with 96 parts included. If you buy this at the price it sold for and thought that it was just a break off the spur model, thats your dumb fault.

Second, name me where you can find ANYONE who is selling a kit like this, with all these resin cast and vaccuformed parts, for this price? Anyone? Anyone?

Third, before you start complaining and bitching on a forum about how horrible something is, maybe you should try to work on it first. You know, clean up the resin flash, cut off/sand down the vaccumform pinches, and see if when you actually do something instead of waiting to be spoon fed, it turns out pretty decent.

And for those of you just jumping on the wagon because you think you've been taken (which is laughable at best), knock it off. If you have an issue with something you bought, take it up with the seller. If you aren't involved in the current issue, SHUT UP AND DON'T POST.

If have bought numerous items from AW Studios knowing that these items aren't models, but rather kits that let me put it together and sand it all up to look pretty.

Just don't jump on a forum and start blasting the guy cause a few parts need some sanding.
By hawaiiangb
Do you realize what you are saying? If you post pictures of something you are selling, and then send something of such bad quality, would you just bend over and take it? If you saw a picture of a high quality porsche and then got sent a rusted VW, would you not get angry? Ive been in the resin kit hobby since the early 80's and never, never have i seen such shoddy work being sold. I have cleaned up some pretty bad pieces and worked on some pretty bad models. But the difference is, when i bought them, I knew what i was buying. There was no deception. This is different. People that say remarks like , "why dont you just work on it harder" probably havent had any of their hard earned money stolen from them. I've made a proton pack from scratch. I know the work involved. So, by your reasoning, it sounds that what you are saying is that people who buy ready made parts deserve getting screwed. Thats messed up. I want this posting to warn people that what they show, and what you get , is not one and the same.
By secrecyguy
I think that's why he made himself a new account here. He is hiding behind another name.

Like I said, I too thought people are just complaining because it's not 100% perfect until I saw the pictures.

That's BAD work he did on the proton pack. There's no way to fix it and make it better. You better off tossing it in the trash can and make new ones.
By venkman71
I'm gonna have to wade in on this topic as I've gotten several,..and by several I mean a lot of PM's about this and I've seen closeup photos of multiple kits from various people and the kits are a mess.

Now before anyone decides to get all up in my ass about it, check my history,....I've built a LOT of stuff for many years so I'm not talking out of my ass. I know my way around the resin molds and in all the time I've been doing it, this is probably one of the worst kits that I've ever seen. :?

I wouldn't ever let something like that leave my shop.
Firstly, to get to the point of the pics in the examples, you need to do SOME WORK! This is not a model you pick up at a hobby shop. It is a kit, with 96 parts included.

If by SOME WORK! you mean COMPLETELELY REBUILD FROM SCRATCH! Then you'd be correct.
If you buy this at the price it sold for and thought that it was just a break off the spur model, thats your dumb fault.

If being condescending and indignant is the the response you give to being called on a sub-standard product by a dis-satisfied customer you may wanna re-think your business plan.

Don't be an ass.
Second, name me where you can find ANYONE who is selling a kit like this, with all these resin cast and vaccuformed parts, for this price? Anyone? Anyone?

How is this a defense? You may as well say, "Can anyone tell me where else they can get a poorly crafted, sub-standard kit for big money so close to Halloween!? Who else is doing that besides me!? ANYONE!? ANYONE!?"

You're trotting that defense out as a POSITIVE!? :shock:
Third, before you start complaining and bitching on a forum about how horrible something is, maybe you should try to work on it first. You know, clean up the resin flash, cut off/sand down the vaccumform pinches, and see if when you actually do something instead of waiting to be spoon fed, it turns out pretty decent.

That's a load of horseshit. The second a kit like that drops out of the box you know it's doomed. These people paid for a KIT so they wouldn't HAVE TO do a lot of WORK on it. That's why it's called a kit and if you think the only thing wrong with that kit is flashing you need to have your eyes checked.
And for those of you just jumping on the wagon because you think you've been taken (which is laughable at best), knock it off. If you have an issue with something you bought, take it up with the seller. If you aren't involved in the current issue, SHUT UP AND DON'T POST.

Don't even go down that road. If I had a nickel for everytime someone has come to me to complain about Hotshot not returning e-mails or PM's I'd buy the screen used Ecto-1.

When a person cannot get a response in private, their only recourse is to go public.
Just don't jump on a forum and start blasting the guy cause a few parts need some sanding.

That's a gross understatement and way over-simplified.

I've been through a similar fiasco on my board with this and I was assured nothing like that would happen again,....and actually,... it's true.

It's worse this time. :roll:

Hotshot,.....stop offering stuff. You have demonstrated time and time again you cannot offer quality supply to feed your demand and while your road to Hell may be paved with the best of intentions, all it's leaving is angry customers in your wake.

Quit now while you're only marginally behind. :?
By ecto_skywalker
namebrand wrote: ...First off, ecto_skywalker, it is BY FAR not your fault at all for getting crappy parts or unusable parts. So what you wanted to save some time and buy parts? He has made himself out to be a big pro as far as prop building is concerned, he's stated that he's making this his bread and butter...would you feel that it was your fault if you wanted to save time in building a car from scratch if you bought one and it turned out to not be what it was made out to be?...

You're right. Thanks for your words...
By bigjuan2001
His shop is in Baltimore anyone want to pay him a visit? I knew something was shady about that dude. I was going to buy some parts from him and he said what i wanted, sent him a list and never heard from him again. Sent it again and still nothing. Also he sent that shit out way too close to halloween. There should be a gang of people regulating on these f***s.
By venkman71
Nobody needs to go to his shop. People just have to stop buying from him.
By sonicblaster59
Maybe extra steps are needing to be taken on this matter...

Well, for starters, bad prop builders usually get banned, and usually there is some sort of community announcement about it.

Granted if he is banned now, the people posting above will never get a refund...but if he isn't banned...is freely able to keep selling items on these boards.

Tough call. And we still haven't heard from Hotshot yet...

Right before halloween too... :?
By venkman71
BusterMike,....I don't mean to come off so jerky to ya, man. I know you're a member over at The 'Topia.

My laser was more aimed at Hotshot's business practices.

That being said,....I still cannot agree with your assessment of this situation. It's a "give em' their money back" deal in my opinion.

What I marvel at is this,.....I KNOW how much it takes to build these things,....even in a rush, okay? Figuring the time it takes him, the money he gets for it is one thing, but then you heap in the screaming villagers, the demands for refunds and the huge headache of basically being "stalked" for answers by pissed off builder it CAN'T,....I mean it just CAN'T,......it CANNOT be worth it.

I just can't see how. I have nothing but good business history, (I think. I've never heard to the contrary), with the few people I've sold to over the years and I didn't think it was worth it then!

And my stuff went smooth!

Rhett must be a masochist.

Dude,....seriously, you can pay a hot chick in stilettos to walk up and down your back, yell at you and kick you in the nuts and still get the same effect. :roll:
By hammansd
How do you think we feel. I don't know what to do.

We're deployed to the middle east and bought these things for our units halloween party. Now we have a $1,600 box of junk. I'm going to be lucky if the guys give me the money for the kits.

I have yet to contact Hotshot about it because honestly I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know how they built the pack he shows in the ad from the kit that I recieved in the mail.

I seriously doubt that he is going to like having 4 pissed off guys show up at his door with M-16's.
By hotshotdraw
Well, before I get banned, I guess this is what should be done.

I thought what I was doing was the right thing, by offering to the community a one stop shop kit for them to build up, at a nice price so multiple trips to the store, hobby shop, and hardware stores could be avoided.

I thought it would be great for folks to have someone out there to offer all the parts, not just one thing or the other.

It was my hope to put the art back into this, so folk could have the rough ugly scratch built parts like the bumper, to fix or leave as they pleased. I just wanted people to have their packs like they've always wanted, without haveing to wait in line to get real parts, or by small batches at a time.

I tried.
I've worked harder than you can imagine, and I thoguht that much was clear.
I'm sorry gang, i really am. But this will always be a learning experience, and I wanted to let you all know, that while many of your backhanded comments, and for some, the complete lack of communitcation on their disatisfaction, are angering, hurtful, and just plain destructive, others have done the right thing and offered priase for one thing, and then constructive critisim for others, making imrovements easier to do, and also speeds up the process.
I find it very hard to take people seriously when they complain about three or four parts, out of the over 100 (if you got a gun), are messy when simple procedures can fix and clean them up.

In truth, I cannot be held responsible for people's lack of knowledge.
As a 15 year vet of the restraunt industry, I know that great customer service begins with the customer. If you have a problem, have the balls to tell me so i can do my best to fix the situation. If, for example, EctoSkywalker went to a restraunt and completely finsihed his medium rare steak when he wanted it well, then complained to me, the manager, I'd ask him "Why didn't you tell me before you finished your steak, dumba$$?"

And on that note, why would you complain to Venkman71 when you never made an attempt to complain to me? That's not the person to bug, I am. Sean and AJ are not responsible for my parts or rep, and neither our their websites. I am.

Take you concern's to me, b1tches.

As for the photos, and parts. What you saw was indicated as being the masters, which were cast, sculpted, or whatever, then cast in resin, then photographed to represent the part. Those aren't real clippards in those photos folks!

As for the work you'll have to put into this kit.

Well, gosh! It's hard to build a proton pack! Wow! I had no idea! How will i ever finish it with my lack of tools and knowledge? It looked easy? But clearly I'm an idoit with no concept of how to build things! Dee dee dee!

I will say this once, and once only. I am not responsilbe for your lack of knowledge, experience, tools, or complete lack of ability to be polite and man like in you buisness dealings.

Lastly, to those of you who have taken the time to send emails and pm's letting me know of your appreciation and compliments, i say to you, enjoy your hobby, and thanks for letting me know that you think waht I'm doing is the slightest bit worhtwhile.
To those of you who didn't have the balls to pm me to slove any problems or questions, or those who can't seem to find the time to let me know whena problem has arisen; I say to you in a heartfelt way, return forthwith to your place of judgement or to the nearest slimy rock you crawled out of this morning.

Have a Happy Halloween
Bye
By venkman71
Seriously, guys,....the "Going to his shop" and "Guys showing up at his door pissed off with M-16s" isn't going to get him to respond either quickly or favorably.

As pissed off as you are, physical threats will only get you silence or indignance,....not to mention a restraining order if the person in question is especially twitchy.

Hotshot needs to be heard from and it needs to progress from there in as civil a manner as possible.

Whcih is a tall order considering how pissed off people are. But hang in there everyone,.....all things in time.
By hammansd
Hotshot, while my comments may be a little harsh we've got 4 days to build them from when they showed up and you originally promised that they would ship in the second week of September.

Are you going to post the instructions that you promised Tuesday any time soon? I sincerely hope so because we really need some help with this. Calling me an idiot who doesn't know how to build things in your post certainly didn't make me feel any better though.

I thought I'd mention that he included some extras for us in the box for assembly because the parts are hard for us to find over here in the desert. That was very nice, thanks Hotshot.

edit: And to be clear, I'm not PM'ing anyone about you. I've just been kind of mulling things over the last day or so trying to figure out how to go forward.
By namebrand
BusterMike, people who are not directly involved have every right to post, especially if their post relates what they know of the situation. We are all part of the community which Hotshot is involved in and thus we are all involved. Also I will add that I prefaced and concluded my statements with the fact that I had no direct connections by way of parts or customer service.

As for your suggestion that it be dealt with in private. I know people that attempted to and were met with rude responses that equated to him saying "bite me".

As for the quality, no one said all parts bought need to look like injection molded models, but Hotshot has been boasting on every forum about how great he is and acting like some professional prop builder who's offering top notch accurate parts. His photos never clearly show the the detail or accuracy of the parts nor do they or any of the info he's provided that I have seen give ANY indication that you might be in for a LOT of work with his parts.

Not to mention the fact that people were FAR too willing to accept shoddy workmanship that resulted in shipping damage as something inevitable when shipping a pack. That to me is letting him off the hook. The photos showed vulerable parts held on with a couple dabs of glue, which is bad workmanship. Also if I paid for a car and it was being delivered and it showed up with a busted window, no way in hell I would accept from the seller or anyone else that it's my job to repair it.

He's talked a big game and doesn't live up to what he makes himself out to be. There are a lot of people (as Sean mentioned) who are VERY unhappy with his stuff. I think there are a lot of people that may not know any better as to the quality or accuracy of the parts or props they are getting.

It's laugable to argue that since no one else offers a kit with all those parts for that price (which isn't that great of a price anyway) that it's all ok. Lets give him carte blanche simply because he fills a void? I think not.

I might also add that MANY people have offered kits of MUCH higher quality in the past than this for MUCH lower prices. Perhaps not with every last single part included, but a good 80-90% of what was needed to build a pack (Moore being one of them much as I loath saying it).

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]