Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By TheModelMaker
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

I was doing a search today on Amazon and I came across this version of 'The Ghost Busters'. I have never seen this before. If anybody has watched it, let me know how it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Busters-Com ... 674&sr=8-7
By UltimateGBfan
Yep that's the Filmation Ghost Busters.There was also a live action TV show in the 70s that this cartoon was based off of.When Sony decided to make the RGB cartoon,they acquired the rights and hence they they're called The Real Ghostbusters,so people wouldn't confuse the two.

Peter Cullen aka Optimus Prime from Transformers,provided his voice for the cartoon as well.

I've watched two episodes and that's it.My mom accidently bought me some of the figures off Ebay a few years back too not realizing that it was The Real Ghostbusters.
By jettajeffro
I've recently sat down and watched the live action series. I know I'll be tarred and feathered for say it, but I actually like it alot. Mainly because I'm into the classic comedies and old slap stick. Every episode was exactly the same format. Ghost comes back, stays in the castle up the road, they look for the ghosts in the graveyard. They had some really good guests as the ghosts. I'm going through and watching the complete animated series as well. Haven't watches those since I was 5 or 6.
By UltimateGBfan
Oh I love the live action series.I too love old comedies,I'd love to get all of the live action series on DVD too.
By jettajeffro
As they've admitted with the GB movie, alot of it was inspired by the Abbott and Castello monster movies. Scenes like "the flowers are still standing" was directly lifted from them, but I do feel the live action series was even closer to the Abbott and Castello movies. I've been considering making a disintegrator gun replica. Not sure if anyones ever done one.
By thegreatgalling
I actually used to watch the show and *used to have the action figures...more about that later....

Apparently we were close to having the movie we all love named "Ghost Catchers" instead because of rights issues the show in 1975 created for Columbia's legal team. Apparently the scene where Ray drives the Ecto 1 up for the first time was filmed a few times with different signs saying a few different names, including Ghost Catchers.

Here is a time line to clear up some confusion if there still is some out there.

1975: A short-lived live action comedy called The Ghost Busters comes out with a man in a gorilla suit and nobody notices.

1984: The smash hit Ghostbusters comes out. They are able to maneuver past legal problems and keep the name that is adored by millions. A new breed of fan is created that spends countless time and money on creating replica "proton packs" and communicate to one another on forums. Its pretty pathetic.

1986: To capitalize on the success of Ghostbusters, the people who own the rights to The Ghost Busters create a cartoon which they call Filmation's Ghost Busters to confuse small children who do not understand the difference. *The show is a source of heartache during Christmas when millions of children receive what they hoped would be "Ghostbuster" action figures but instead are figures of large gorillas and characters they never heard of.

1986: Columbia almost immediately responds by releasing The Real Ghostbusters the same year. They change the name to avoid the same legal problems they feared two years prior. Later, when Columbia is purchased by SONY, millions of fans still wait for a decent dvd of the cartoon but do not expect it because they know SONY hates Ghostbuster fans.

Joe
By Zack
I believe both cartoons debuted at the same time? Well if imdb's info of release dates of September 13th '86 for both toons is right. I think on the part of the cartoons, Filmation wouldn't give up the title "Ghostbusters" again for the cartoon series Columbia wanted to do, so they called it "The Real Ghostbusters". I think? If I remember reading on protoncharging right! :walterpeck::D

on the subject, not long ago, a forum was created for fans of the original show and the cartoon...

http://trughostbusters.proboards98.com/index.cgi

not too many members now haha but we got a little bit of discussion going. :D I'm on there, one of the 4 members. :vinzclortho:
By bradboss12
I remember watching a lot of live action shows when I was a kid. Wonderbug, Sigmund the Sea Monster, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Lost Saucer, Land of the Lost, and the Ghost Busters. I liked seeing Larry Storch and Forrest Tucker teamed up, as they were on "F Troop" a comedy based on the Wild West. It's like Batman with Adam West, and the Micheal Keaton Batman. Each is their own species, and comparing them is silly, since one is camp and the other is gritty.
By thegreatgalling
comparing them is silly, since one is camp and the other is gritty.

Which one is which? :)

I know I read somewhere that the idea for the Filmation Ghost Buster cartoon preceded the Real Ghostbusters concept. They may have aired at the same time, but pretty sure Filmation was first to begin the race.
By jettajeffro
I had read the filmation busters was a hit till the real busters started and then effectively squashed the filmation busters, hence only 2 seasons from them.
By UltimateGBfan
OUR GBs were gonna be called alot of things,some were Ghost Catchers,Ghost Breakers,Ghost Zappers.

The idea for Dan's GBs came along with Blues Brothers and Coneheads.They were though up while he and John Belushi were on SNL.In fact Venkman was originally gonna be Belushi.When John died,he kind of had Slimer have Belushi's Animal House character's traits.

The movie changed alot from the time Dan created it to the point of it being released.Gozer was originally gonna be Pee Wee Herman(I'm not joking either),Louis Tully was meant to be John Candy,Stay Puft was gonna rise from the East River,the Ecto could travel through time and space and the two GBs were intergallactic bounty hunters that could through time and space,the Ecto was changed from a 70s model hearse to a 59 Caddy M&M,the packs charged through wall outlets and the guns were wands that strapped to the wrist,Winston was head of security,plus many more!Read the lil book that came with the DVD 2pack,that has just a fragment of behind the scenes stuff.
    Proton Props UK

One guy for logistics would be fine ;-)

Frozen Empire GB Jumpsuit (Khaki)

I hadn't thought so. Have to see if we get anythi[…]

You guys are MUCH better at IDing stuff than I a[…]

I enjoyed issue 2 more than 1, and have to admit I[…]